Friday, April 25, 2014

Final Reflections

Before starting this class I didn't really have any insightful perceptions about sports. For me sport was just something you watch for entertainment or play as an extra curricular activity. I never really thought about the social constructions our society makes around sport and all of the things that go on that is never really thought about or noticed until it is pointed out to you. Throughout the semester my perception of sport culture has changed through realizing things that are acceptable in sport that we do not find acceptable in regular society like drug testing and sex verification. Discussions that stood out to me the most was whether or not college athletes should get paid or not. This stood out to me the most because I never really thought about this topic let alone thought about the differing sides to it. I feel that now that I have learned about sport from a more sociological stand point I will more critically think about sport when Im watching it or playing it and realize the way sport is a massive part of US culture. In my future career I think I will be able to take the skill I have learned of thinking critically about topics that I normally wouldn't think about and analyze it in different ways. I have recommended to other friends that they take this class even if they are not extremely into sport because of the interesting topics that are discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment